Trip(dot)com offers excellent discounts on travel-related services. Are you considering using them for an upcoming trip? Using the website to book flights, hotel reservations, car rentals, and more can help you save lots of money, but will they add any real value to your long-awaited vacation?
What are the risks associated with booking travel-related services from Trip? How do people feel about the website? Are there any other reliable alternatives to it?
What Is Trip.com?
Founded in 1999, Trip is one of the longest-running businesses in its sector. Whether you are booking a flight with a favorite airline, looking for a hotel overseas, or renting a car, it offers almost everything you might need while on vacation. The best part is that all of this is available at a massively discounted price.
Being an international company, Trip covers nearly all regions, with operations in almost 200 countries. Thanks to the extensive hotel network that it has built and the flight network it has set up connecting 5000 cities, Trip offers excellent discounts and offers. Moreover, to serve the needs of global customers, the website supports nearly 44 languages.
Although the company has grown enormously, you might still be wondering whether it’s legitimate and trustworthy.
Yes, Trip(dot)com is legit and not a scam. Here’s why:
- Trip(dot)com Group, a NASDAQ-listed company, owns this website.
- Over two decades in business suggests it isn’t a shady company.
- Its extensive network of hotels and flights suggests other businesses trust the company.
- The company currently has more than 45,000 employees, indicating it’s a well-established enterprise.
So what do other customers say about it?
What Do People Think About Trip.com?
The company has a rating of 3.7 out of 5 on Trustpilot. Even though it seems pretty good, nearly 26 percent of its reviews are one-star. Based on the number of reviews it has, over 7,000 customers are dissatisfied.
However, after checking reviews in more detail, it appears most problems mentioned are related to the services booked through the website, over which Trip had little control. Some people complained about dirty rooms in hotels, airlines canceling flights at the last minute, or poor customer support from hotels they booked.
Trip is not responsible for all such things, but the blame is on businesses listed on the website. In other words, most negative reviews don’t refer to the company as having caused the issue. However, some people have shared issues specific to Trip(dot)com. Some of them are:
- Since the customer service representatives are not native English speakers, a language barrier is a major concern.
- There is a slow response time from the company when it comes to handling complaints, which results in further delays.
- The refund process takes a long time.
However, contrary to other companies, a Trip representative has responded to more than 91 percent of negative reviews and given reviewers instructions on how to resolve the issue and avoid it in the future. The company clearly cares about its reputation.
But why should you choose Trip over booking directly with the businesses?
Here are some reasons why booking services from Trip(dot)com is a good choice:
- In comparison to booking the same service directly from a business, Trip deals are cheaper.
- There are numerous options for you to compare and choose from.
- You can book hotels and rentals abroad from the comfort of your own home.
- From one website, you can plan your entire trip and manage your finances effectively.
- Trip claims to offer the best deals. If the same deal is available elsewhere for less, the website claims to refund the difference.
The above reasons make Trip a top choice, but you should follow some tips to book services smartly.
Tips for Booking Services Smartly on Trip
Here are a few tips to remember when booking services on Trip(dot)com:
- Read the reviews of other customers who have used the same service through Trip.
- Check airline reviews outside of Trip(dot)com to determine how reliable they are. Don’t be afraid to pay more for trustworthy options.
- Don’t book flights through the website in emergencies. Getting them directly from the airline will enable you to reschedule it quickly in case of a cancelation or delay.
- Refunds can take around a week or even longer, depending on the situation. Make sure you have an extra budget in reserve to counteract that.
- Prepare a backup plan to deal with unforeseen circumstances.
- Give the customer support team proper details about your complaint to get it resolved promptly.
- Only book hotels and car rentals a few days before your vacation, so you don’t have to request multiple refunds if your plans change.
If you prefer to talk to customer support by phone, you can find contact information on Trip.com’s help page. The details vary by region and country, so contact the appropriate number for better assistance.
The easiest method, however, is to contact Trip customer support via live chat. To connect to a representative:
- Visit the Trip.com website.
- Click on the headphone (Service Chat) icon in the lower-right corner.
- You will need to sign in, so if you haven’t already, do it now.
- Choose the option you need assistance with.
- Send any random question or query when the Trip chatbot greets you. You can say, for example, “I would like to speak with an agent.”
By following these steps, you can avoid the annoying chatbot and connect with a real person.
If you’ve had a poor experience with Trip or are concerned about the negative reviews, there are many other reliable options. The best alternative to Trip includes Booking(dot)com, Expedia, and TripAdvisor.
However, an even better option would be to use specialized services. Airbnb, for instance, can help you find affordable accommodation. Likewise, you can choose a well-known service for air tickets and rentals discounts. Despite the higher price, websites that offer dedicated travel services can assist you in better planning your journey.
Another excellent option is to use the local websites offering services in a specific country; the best local websites in the UK, for example. Besides being more trustworthy, you’ll find better deals there.
Make the Most of Your Vacations
Those planning vacations can find everything they need at Trip. It does have some downsides, however. Hopefully, with some knowledge about choosing a deal on Trip(dot)com, you’ll soon be one of the many happy Trip customers. And if the deals don’t appeal to you, simply check out its alternatives.